Yup. I know these guys. The one in the “This is what AWESOME looks like” t-shirt is my brother, Chris (dad, teacher-by-day, ACDC-cover-band-rock-star by night). The bathing beauty is my dear husband, Ryan. Like many dads (and moms, to be fair!), they hadn’t thought twice about their Halloween costumes until their kids we’re hanging all over their legs, one hour before the Halloween party began, begging to see their costumes.
“Uh-oh,” Ryan whispered to me. “What am I going to be?”
We quickly scanned the room, his eyes settled on my old robe. “Gimme that. And that,” he said pointing to my blue shower cap.
He threw the get-up on (yes, with shorts underneath!) and there it was, his Halloween costume.
Chris’ kids apparently helped him throw his costume together too. (Although he swears he’s not actually wearing one. “What? You don’t think I wear this everyday?”) Still, the costume works.
So, green guys – even if you too have less than an hour, and not a dollar to spend, you can still hold your head up high with these last-minute (green) Halloween costumes (for guys):
- Young Republican: Oxford shirt, khakis, blue and red tie, loafers, hair parted on the side.
- Plumber: Saggy pants, work boots, old-white t-shirt (one size too small), baseball cap, tool-belt, toolbox
- Olympic swimmer: Speedos, kids’ swimming medal around the neck
- “Mommy“: Wear Mommy’s clothes
- Greek God: White sheet wrapped into a toga (Yes! Wear shorts!), cut ivy down from your tree outside and form into a wreath
Get the kids in on the fun and invite them to dress Dad for Halloween. They may (or may not) come up with a killer costume, but the process is sure to bring on the giggles (and the good memories too).
Have fab and funny costume ideas for your last-minute, eco-friendly man? Do tell!
Lynn Colwell and Corey Colwell-Lipson are mother and daughter and authors of Celebrate Green! Creating Eco-Savvy Holidays, Celebrations and Traditions for the Whole Family, and founders of Green Halloween®.