Take part in The Green Halloween Pledge!
We want to have a HUGE shout-out toÂ HolidayLEDs since they are helping us promote a greener Halloween this year and “help people commit to reducing the environmental impact of their Halloween celebration” by holding a contest called the Green Halloween Pledge!Â All they ask is for people who are planning to commit to the Green Halloween Pledge to do at least 5 actions from the following list:
- Swap costumes with someone rather than buying a new costume. This is a great idea and one of our favorite Green Halloween Tips.
- Purchase your costume, or its components from your local thrift shop.
- UseÂ LED Halloween lights to decorate instead of incandescents.
- Collect candy in a reusable container rather than a disposable bag. Or better yet, make a fun project for your kids by having them make their own Halloween bag out of reusable or recyclable items you have around the house.
- When trick-or-treating, walk, instead of driving door to door.
- Carry a shakable orÂ hand-crank LED flash light instead of one that is battery powered.
- Make your ownÂ Halloween face paints.
- Give away one piece of candy instead of handfuls.
- Purchase anÂ organic pumpkin.
- Buy your pumpkin from aÂ local farmer.
- Purchase anÂ edible variety of pumpkin and paint, instead of carving the pumpkin. Then bake and eat the pumpkin when Halloween is done.
- Roast & eat your pumpkin seeds instead of tossing them.
- Use 100%Â beeswax or soy candles in your jack-o-lantern instead of paraffin candles.
- Give awayÂ healthier alternatives to conventional candy.
- Compost your leftover candy.
- Donate your leftover candy to troops overseas.
- Compost your pumpkin.
- MakeÂ crafts out of candy wrappers.
- Pack dÃ©cor away carefully so that it can be reused next year.
- Text â€œBoo 5â€ to 27138 to donate $5 to support the Green HalloweenÂ® initiative.
Participants of the Green Halloween Pledge will be automatically entered in a random drawing. One lucky participant will win a $150 gift certificate redeemable at HolidayLEDs.
So what are you waiting for? If you haven’t taken the Green Halloween Pledge yet, do so now! Visit HolidayLEDs’ Green Halloween Pledge page for details and step-by-step instructions for entering the drawing!
Everyone here at Green Halloween is immensely grateful for HolidayLEDs for holding this contest and we’re so glad we were able to inspire others to be more consciousÂ of environmental waste during holidays.
SPECIAL NOTE: Just in time for Halloween! Save 15% on LED Halloween lights atÂ HolidayLEDs.com with coupon codeÂ GHWEEN15 nowÂ through October 31st.
Green HalloweenÂ® is a nationwide non-profit initiative started by mother-daughter team Corey Colwell-Lipson and Lynn Colwell. In 2010, Green Halloween became a program of EcoMomÂ® Alliance and has events in cities across the U.S.